The Country Club of Darien opened on June 29 1957, Edgar S. Auchincloss changed his two hundred acre “Gentlemen's Farm” that had been owned by the family since 1905 into the Country Club of Darien. By June of 1957 the 250 charter members have been assembled and the Country Club of Darien opened its doors equipped with six tennis courts, nine hole golf course, two paddle tennis courts, swimming pool. The Club membership quickly expanded to 400 members. The golf course was designed and expanded by Alfred Horace Tull. The 18 hole course was available for play in 1958. The Clubhouse continued to expand throughout the years with the Ballroom being completed in 1959 and in 1966 a new Dining Room, the Mixed Grille was added and modernized in 1988. Further renovations to the Club have been completed throughout the years including the introduction of the Wine Room and White Oak Room in 2016, that was part of a club-wide renovation with a 2018 addition of a 5th paddle court.