The Country Club of Darien is located in the Long Island Sound shoreline town of Darien, Connecticut, just a mere 45 miles north of New York City. On June 29, 1957, Edgar S. Auchincloss’ vision of turning his family’s 200 plus acre “gentleman’s farm” into a club for all seasons, became a reality.
The Auchincloss’ owned the Keewaydin farm since 1905, as it served as a vacation retreat for their family, and a home to cows, pigs and chickens galore. In 1956, Edgar and his widowed mother, Catherine Agnew Auchincloss, transformed the land into the grounds of the 140-acre Country Club of Darien that we know today. Sixty years later, the club is still equipped with golf, racquet sports and swimming amenities, as well as several dining options with a membership of 600 families.
The Country Club of Darien has an 18-hole golf course that was first designed by the famous golf architect Alfred Horace Tull. The course is inconspicuously harder than the greens let on to the naked eye, yet it is frequently enjoyed by members throughout the spring, summer and fall seasons. In 2008, the course was redesigned by the internationally sought after golf architect, Dr. Michael Hurdzan. The club’s golf facilities include a driving range, putting green and golf pro shop. The pro shop also has a Golf Performance Studio with two hitting bays, a putting studio, a Flightscope Launch Monitor and other interactive simulation technologies.
Racquet sports are in full swing at the Country Club of Darien with tennis from April to September, and paddle from October to April. There are eight Har-Tru tennis courts and four paddle courts, where clinics, camps, and private and group lessons take place. In 2014, the new Paddle Hut renovation was completed, which includes a tennis pro shop, fire pit, and indoor and outdoor viewing areas.
The Club takes full advantage of its swimming amenities in the height of the Connecticut summer heat. The pool house is family oriented with a six-lane pool, gated baby pool and diving well. Swim, dive and water polo teams practice here during the week nights in the summer months. The Club’s pool house has changing rooms, a snack bar and is home to Camp Keewaydin, a summer camp for member’s children and grandchildren ages four to 11.
The Club offers an unrivaled dining experience with two restaurants, the White Oak Room and the Mixed Grill. There are several indoor and outdoor spaces that can be utilized year-round with the new Nana walls such as the Banquet Room with its Terrace, and the White Oak Room with its Veranda. Members can also dine outside of the Mixed Grill on the Pub Patio which features a fire pit and cozy seating area. The new Lounge adjoining the White Oak Room is an intimate space for a pre-or post-dinner cocktail. For more private dinner parties, the 14-person Wine Room, which holds 2,700 bottles of wine, can be reserved for member dinners with set food and wine pairing menus.