Edgar S. Auchincloss' vision of turning his family's 200 plus acre "gentleman's farm" into a club became a reality in 1957. Formerly named Keewaydin, from Longfellow's "The Song of Hiawatha", the famed Auchincloss family bought the farm in 1905 as a vacation retreat. In 1956, Edgar and his widowed mother, Catherine Agnew Auchincloss, transformed the land into the grounds of the Country Club of Darien that we know today.
By June of 1957, the 250 charter members had been assembled, and the Country Club of Darien opened its doors and the membership quickly expanded to 400. The golf course was designed by Alfred Horace Tull and by 1958 was available for play.
The Clubhouse continued to expand throughout the years with the Ballroom being completed in 1959 and in 1966 the Mixed Grille was added, which was modernized in 1988. Further renovations to the Club have been completed throughout the years including the introduction of the Wine Room and White Oak Room in 2016 and a 5th paddle court in 2018.
In addition to the 18 hole golf course, the Club has eight Har-Tru tennis courts, five paddle courts with a newly built Paddle Hut, a six-lane pool, gated baby pool, two restaurants, and a fitness center.
Edgar's generosity lives on as the Country Club of Darien has truly fulfilled his dream of a "club for all seasons".